Wednesday, December 31, 2008
At a more reasonable hour, I went to Frederick to get new tires. We ate at Brewer's Alley and I had some rather historic macaroni and cheese. You know how Oprah sent her friend Gail on a U.S. tour to find the very best burger? Boy, I wish I could do that with mac and cheese.
Once we were through I thought, "What the heck, how about I stop in the bead store?" If you know me you know how this story ends! Since then, I have made three new bracelets which will be sold as a unit, a set of four new napkin rings, and did some MAJOR reorganization of my bead boxes. Therefore, I have lots more destash (extra stuff I don't need) to put on Etsy now. I also made three new cards for Valentine's day, and I hope to take some pictures of all this tomorrow.
I have the best job in the world. I get to play with crazy awesome kids, make messes, and be creative! My students are always surprising, amusing, and inspiring me, and things are never, ever boring. Life is good!
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Bakerswife’s 20 things:
- My full time job is teaching elementary art. It’s the best job in the world! I love my kids so much.
- I adore Sondheim musicals. The most widely-known of these would be Into the Woods, from which I have drawn my username, my favorite character. She is known as “the Baker’s Wife” throughout the play.
- My brother got into Juilliard for grad school! He begins this fall. He is an awesomely awesome trombonist.
- Next to teaching and making art, singing is my love. I’m in a chorus and I take voice lessons. However, I am now having vocal problems which seriously bum me out. I wasn't able to sing much in the Mozart Requiem we did last week! That masterpiece does a lot to explain all the fuss over Mozart. Much of his other work can sometimes appear to lack passion, but a guy who could be responsible for such music must have had something astonishing. It’s close to perfection.
- I’m a bit of a music junkie in general. iTunes informs me that I have 10,304 songs. A basically alphabetical artist sampling:
- Dale Warland Singers
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Gnarls Barkley
- Imogen Heap
- Jane Monheit
- Kanye West
- Lauryn Hill
- Neko Case
- Sufjan Stevens
Univeral Hall Pass
- Van Hunt
- Yael Naim
- I once tried to be a jock. For a few years in high school I played basketball and volleyball, but determined that I am too sensitive and intellectual for that, and I really belong in choir.
- Baking is something I do for fun, and I would like to branch out a lot more, but the bottom line always seems to deliver a reality check- nothing is better than chocolate chip cookies.
- I can watch babies like other people watch TV. They’re just riveting. I adore kids of all ages, really.
- When I read to my students I do all the voices and funny noises.
- I majored in Art Education at
. Towson University
- Someday I will buy myself a potter’s wheel, because I find throwing on the wheel tremendously satisfying and calming. It’s something I picture my self doing well into old age.
- I come from a family of musicians. My mom sings and plays piano. My brother is a trombonist. My dad plays cello, violin, mandolin, banjo, guitar, and bass. He bought an accordion off of eBay but no one uses it because it smells funny.
- Evidently, my current TV lineup is somehow dominated by reality shows! This I admit with chagrin. It includes: Jon and Kate Plus 8, What Not to Wear, Mythbusters, and when possible, the Daily Show and Colbert Report. My true favorite, and the only thing I do watch every week, is Project Runway. Currently, I am concerned about its welfare.
- I heart MarioKart.
- School is something I always loved as a student, so it should come as no surprise that I am now employed in one. Yay!
- My taste in food is akin to that of a nine year old. Macaroni and cheese, pizza, bread, hamburgers- these are all favorites of mine, but then I do adore crabcakes which might be cause for hesitation in some kids. I do eat my veggies, though.
- When I was a little girl, I loved earrings so much that I would make them out of anything I could find. Puzzle pieces, leaves, construction paper, you name it. I would then tape them to my ears with band-aids and proceed to WEAR THEM IN PUBLIC. Once I wore some frogs with googly eyes and the nice lady at the bank gave me an extra lollipop because she liked them.
- I enjoy fishing and camping, as long as I don’t have to touch the fish or bait, and there are shower facilities on site. I know it sounds odd but actually, we do this quite often as a family. My dad takes good care of me, what can I say? He’s just happy to have a girl that likes fishing.
- When I go to the beach, I spend hours collecting what must be gallons of shells. They usually make it home, but after that, they seem to get sucked into a black hole. Or, mom pitches them. Not sure which.
- My roommate and I often converse in Kelly-speak, used in the hilarious (or inexcusably silly) shoes video. Sometimes we forget ourselves and do it in public.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
The new year is fast approaching and I thought it might be fun to begin a blog. My intention is to use this to discuss my works in progress, share my trials and triumphs in the Etsy world, and maybe talk a bit about real life, too.
My holiday was a wonderful one! There was much eating and much singing! I was lucky enough to get some time off in addition to Christmas and New Year’s so I have been busily beading. So far, I’ve finished a new ring, the Raspberry Tangerine Ring, and three sets of new napkin rings. I thought it might be wise to make more napkin rings since I have received some positive attention on the two sets I have made so far. One was bought (Woohoo!) and in regards to the other, a kind woman known as starlightdesigns on Etsy wrote to ask me if she could feature the set in a book she is writing! I am so exited and flattered! Please go and check out her handmade lampwork beads if you create your own beaded jewelry.
I’ve made a total of six sales to people I don’t know since opening my Etsy shop in late June of this year, and sixteen sales to awesome folks I do know. Thanks for the support, you all!
Also, monkeydoodle was nice enough to feature me in a treasury on Etsy. A treasury is a collection of stuff you like that you arrange by theme and post if you are lucky enough to get a slot. This has only happened to me on two other occasions, to my knowledge. Anyway, it’s greatly appreciated!